DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD Installation and Upgrading

OpenBSD Installation and Upgrading Installing and upgrading OpenBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th April 2012
Port Guard

Default Booting install.iso from grub.

I was considering reducing my waste by installing grub and creating a partition just for syncing with -current.

I was wondering if anyone has tried it this way:

[grub] [install.iso partition] [OpenBSD]

This way I can boot the iso - update the box and boot into OpenBSD w/o having to burn a cd. Plus this is an older laptop and syncing from cvs tree is not ideal.

Thoughts?
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th April 2012
bsdstudent

Hi @tls !
Is it necessary ? Why wouldn't you upgrade via ftp simply ?
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th April 2012
More noise than signal

Copy new bsd.rd to your root directory

Reboot.

Type the filename at the "boot>" prompt.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th April 2012
Port Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jggimi View Post
Copy new bsd.rd to your root directory

Reboot.

Type the filename at the "boot>" prompt.
This seems a much saner route - thank you.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 5th April 2012
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tls View Post
...was wondering if it is good practice to do a sysmerge even if the base install and -current is days old apart?
It sounds like you are thinking sysmerge(8) downloads files from elsewhere -- getting the latest available. This isn't what sysmerge does, nor is this the intended problem sysmerge addresses.

sysmerge(8) does all work locally. It saves changes to common configuration files (usually those residing in /etc...) in a temporary directory, & points out differences to those configuration files already in use. sysmerge also will merge the differences at your direction. The problem sysmerge addresses is that new configuration files may leave the system in an unknown state, so instead of the upgrade process leaving you with a non-working system, the Perl script points out what differences exist, & allows you to make the configuration changes whenever you choose.

So if you installed a snapshot three weeks ago, & tomorrow decide to deal with the differences in configuration files, everything that is needed already resides on your filesystem. Nothing more is going to be downloaded.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 5th April 2012
Port Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocicat View Post
It sounds like you are thinking sysmerge(8) downloads files from elsewhere -- getting the latest available. This isn't what sysmerge does, nor is this the intended problem sysmerge addresses.

sysmerge(8) does all work locally. It saves changes to common configuration files (usually those residing in /etc...) in a temporary directory, & points out differences to those configuration files already in use. sysmerge also will merge the differences at your direction. The problem sysmerge addresses is that new configuration files may leave the system in an unknown state, so instead of the upgrade process leaving you with a non-working system, the Perl script points out what differences exist, & allows you to make the configuration changes whenever you choose.

So if you installed a snapshot three weeks ago, & tomorrow decide to deal with the differences in configuration files, everything that is needed already resides on your filesystem. Nothing more is going to be downloaded.
Yes, I had already updated my system and my understanding was if any configuration changes it would be wise to run sysmerge after upgrading to -current in order to keep configurations correct?

But as you said I am free to make the adjustment when I deem fit, thank you.
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 5th April 2012
More noise than signal

Quote:
But as you said I am free to make the adjustment when I deem fit, thank you.
In July and Aug 2011, sysmerge execution was an automated component of the bsd.rd upgrade script. These days, the script merely recommends running sysmerge before placing the upgraded system into production.

The reason for the recommendation is the possibility that a significant change will render extant /etc or /var configuration files inoperative. Major changes of this type will be documented, however, and therefore it is wise to review the Following -current FAQ prior to upgrading to a new snapshot or rebuilding from source.

Last edited by jggimi; 5th April 2012 at 12:58 PM. Reason: removed a duplicate sentence.