DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > NetBSD > NetBSD Installation and Upgrading

NetBSD Installation and Upgrading Have trouble getting NetBSD on your toaster?

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 11th October 2009
New User

Default Need help-binary package install

Hello, I’m a newbie in netbsd. I have just installed it and now I have a problem to add additional software. I want to see mc and xfce working on my system, so firstly I tried to install mc via pkg_add from /pub/pkgsrc/packages/NetBSD/i386/5.0/All/ or from/pub/pkgsrc/packages/NetBSD/i386/5.0_2009Q2/All/. I do not know about the difference (I installed netbsd 5.0.1 on my laptop).
The first package is mc of cause just to see a 2 panel file manager not a command prompt.
When I start installation from /i386/5.0 like this:
Code:
# pkg_add  -v mc
or like this:
Code:
# pkg_add  -v mc-4.6.1nb4
It start to install it, but it takes ~1,5 h and it finished with:
Code:
Directory ‘/usr/pkg/lib/gio/modules’ disappeared, skipping
pkg_add: Can’t install dependency glib2>=2.14.3
pkg_add: 1 package addition failed.
#mc gives nothing.
After 2 days of this I tried to download all the packages from the official ftp pkgsrc/packages/NetBSD/i386/5.0 to use it locally, but it was impossible (only 20-70kbp/s with a 30Mb/s band width). Secondly I tried to find some mirrors with binaries but I found only compressed sources.

Please help me! I do not know what also can be done to install some programs, graphical interface etc on the netbsd.

Last edited by Carpetsmoker; 11th October 2009 at 02:36 PM. Reason: Added [code] tags
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th October 2009
Port Guard

Seems to be an issue with glib2 package, maybe try to compile it from pkgsrc tree. It doesn't have many dependencies so it shouldn't take long.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 13th October 2009
Package Pilot

I tried to install mc yesterday and it really turned it dies somewhere in the process. As I just left it and went out, I didn't catch the errors, so I started a script(1) and restarted the pkg_add. Strangelly enough, this time it went through and installed mc without problems. :? So, go ahead and try re-running pkg_add again.

I'm not sure if this would create any problems afterwards, but it works here.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 13th October 2009
New User

Hi,
I tried it yesterday and I failed. I installed a pkgsrc tree and tried make install it did not work because of glib2, then I tried to install glib2 but it was not successful because of the Perl. I do not know to much in unix, but I think it can not find perl or may be there is a issue with the name perl — perl 5.
I tried to install it from the binaries: pkg_add / pkg_add -v mc and mc-4.6.1nb4.tgz It just did not work.
I have tried it already it have gave the same error glib2.

So finally I tried to install other package like wget from the sources ( /usr/pkgsrc... make install) and I failed— perl,

Please, I need help,
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 13th October 2009
Arp Constable

I was having similiar problems installing binary packages and ended up using source installs with the newly released pkgsrc-2009Q3. This is going well and I have installed glib2 and perl from source. Make sure you bootstrap your pkgsrc directory.

I think there is something going on with the ftp.netbsd.org server and wonder why packages are not mirrored?
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 13th October 2009
New User

Yes it 's the server's problem for binaries. I tried to download all the binaries it takes 2 days and I'm on «w*» now and I almost finished («w*» loading) it stress me that you used sources pkgsrc-2009Q3 as I already loaded binaries 2009Q2 just for nothing.

Can you give me an idea how to point my pksrc to 2009Q3?

I analyzed (just a little of cause) the problem, It's glib2

I tried to install mc directly from the loaded binary and I got an error when I started it:

shared object «libglib-2.0.so.0» not found

Then I tried /usr/pkgsrc/devel/glib2

just to have make stopped in /usr/pkgsrc/devel/glib2

Shared object «libperl.so» not found.

Maybe it's not a great deal ? Is glib2 is corrupted or this is just a make file problem?

It's important for me because I do not want to sweet to openbsd, as netbsd was already chosen because of it cross-platforms (one time study for all the time ) the number of packages is greater than in openbsd and some say that is also more quickly and xen is also possible.
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 13th October 2009
New User

Is there a solution?

Ex. I downloaded glib2-2.20.3.tgz.gz It's a top secret package almost impossible to find it on the mirrors.

#pkg_add glib2-2.20.3.tgz.gz

package 'glib2-2.20.3.tgz.gz' already recorded as installed

#pkg_delete glib2-2.20.3.tgz.gz

No matching package for basename 'glib2-2.20.3.tgz.gz' of 'glib2-2.20.3.tgz.gz'

Other options like -f does not help much.

What is this?
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 14th October 2009
Arp Constable

Be careful about mixing packages from 2009Q2 with source installs from 2009Q3. What if xfce4 in 2009Q3 was compiled with a different, newer version of glib2. Rather than sorting though all the packages you have installed the last 2 days I would consider blowing away what you have and re install NetBSD so you start adding packages from scratch.

A lot of factors weigh into the decision to do binaries vs pkgsrc installs ie slow vs fast computer and internet connection, size and number of packages you will ultimately want.

If you decide to do pkgsrc installs I followed these instructions
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 14th October 2009
Port Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsdadmin View Post
I tried to download all the binaries it takes 2 days [..]
It usually takes 2 days for me to get working desktop (Gnome and all interesting packages) with old Pentium 4 .

Quote:
#pkg_delete glib2-2.20.3.tgz.gz

No matching package for basename 'glib2-2.20.3.tgz.gz' of 'glib2-2.20.3.tgz.gz'
Type:
Code:
pkg_delete glib2
You need only the basename of the package when You are deinstalling.

Best Regards,
Tom
Old 14th October 2009
New User

Tom, it works, thank you.

shep, where did you find 2009Q3??

Is there a special mirror?

There is nothing here: .../pub/pkgsrc/packages/NetBSD/i386/

I want to install another copy of nebsd 5.0.1 on a separate partition to see if it's a good way for me to use sources only.
Old 14th October 2009
Port Guard

There is announcement http://mail-index.netbsd.org/pkgsrc-...msg010959.html

You can get it from here: ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/pkgsrc/pkgsrc-2009Q3/

For now it's only pkgsrc tree, no packages
Old 29th October 2009
Arp Constable

I found a message at ftp.netbsd.org that packages have been moved to http://nyftp.netbsd.org

Last edited by shep; 29th October 2009 at 11:28 PM. Reason: corrected link