DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD General

OpenBSD General Other questions regarding OpenBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 8th January 2024
Port Guard

Default [login fails] why setting user out of 'wheel' group blocks GUI login?

Hello everyone,

trying to follow some of the suggestions for OpenBSD hardening at the link:
https://dataswamp.org/~solene/2023-1...ast_privileges

Initially, I took the current user off of the 'wheel' group, so that the user has no su -, nor doas abilities, but then - after rebooting - an unexpected situation:

it's impossible to login through the GUI using the usual 'username'/'password' because the system prompts:

Login incorrect or forbidden.

It's possible to login ONLY through the CLI - by accessing the terminal via ctrl+alt+F1...F8, in which case the 'username'/'password' get accepted without any issue.

How to regain access through the GUI/standard desktop environment? i.e.,
What to perform in the CLI in order to overcome the now missing 'wheel' group for the user?

Thank you in advance,

BR
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 8th January 2024
Package Pilot

A wild guess, try adding your user to group "_x11". I think that is the group xenodm runs under.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 8th January 2024
More noise than signal

I would hope the error might be caught in logs. Check $HOME/.xsession-errors, and if necessary check /var/log/xenodm.log and /var/log/Xorg.0.log.

I can't reproduce the problem with a user who is not in the wheel group.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 9th January 2024
Port Guard

Hello, so:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmccue View Post
A wild guess, try adding your user to group "_x11". I think that is the group xenodm runs under.
Yes, the current user is granted _x11 group privileges, that was checked with:
$ cat /etc/group

nevertheless, still I can't login with the usual 'username/password' in GUI prompt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jggimi View Post
I would hope the error might be caught in logs. Check $HOME/.xsession-errors, and if necessary check /var/log/xenodm.log and /var/log/Xorg.0.log.
After logging in as 'root' in CLI I checked all #3 files:
1. $HOME/.xsession-errors –> does not report any error
2. /var/log/xenodm.log -> outputs the following (head part with configs omitted):
Quote:
Failed to create var/empty/.cache for shader cache (Permission denied)–––disabling
WARNING: Kernel has no file descriptor comparison support:No such file or directory
Failed to create /var/empty/.cache for shader cache (Permission denied)–––disabling
xenodm info (pid 41675): consolePath: ttyC4
xenodm info (pid 41675): sourcing /etc/X11/xenodm/Xsetup_0
(II) AIGLX: Suspending AIGLX clients for VT switch
3. /var/log/Xorg.0.log -> gives a long stack trace, but apparently no specific errors are reported. Note: the last line of the stack trace gives the same output about the AIGLX clients suspension.

Any clue?

BR
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 9th January 2024
Package Pilot

Quote:
Failed to create var/empty/.cache for shader cache (Permission denied)–––disabling
Very weird, I use cwm(1) and neither directory/file /var/empty/.cache nor ~/var/empty/.cache exists for me. My id is in the wheel group.

I doubt I can help further, but for others can you supply the Window Manager you are trying to use ?

Also can you test with twm(1) to see what happens ?

Good Luck
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 9th January 2024
More noise than signal

/var/empty should never have anything in it, as it is a $HOME placeholder for daemons. I get the same warnings on my laptop, where I'm using i3wm with the picom compositor.

Create a new test user that doesn't have an .xsession/.xinitrc script. When logging in, you should end up with all the defaults: the fvwm window manager, an xterm, a clock, and an xconsole window.

If your new user logs in without a problem, you'll know the source of the problem is your .xsession script. If it fails to log in, you'll know the source will be something misconfigured in /etc/X11/.
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th January 2024
Port Guard

Hello and thank you for your suggestions:

dealing with:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmccue View Post
Also can you test with twm(1) to see what happens ?
The window manager enabled on the OS here is cwm but I don't know how to switch to twm to test it.

Quote:
If your new user logs in without a problem, you'll know the source of the problem is your .xsession script. If it fails to log in, you'll know the source will be something misconfigured in /etc/X11/.
This is the next thing I will try.

Recap:
1. the first thing I tried was to put back the current user into the wheel group. Outcome: still, cannot log in to desktop environment GUI.
2. could it be that the X11 misconfiguration problem was generated by the fact that I previously swapped the Caps Lock with the ESC key in the wsconsctl https://man.openbsd.org/wsconsctl.8 config? (I wrote a previous post here on Daemonforums: https://daemonforums.org/showthread.php?t=12515), and I changed the password to lowercase (so to avoid the use of Caps Lock when logging in)
3. I verified the .xsession script and it's very simple/minimalistic, if needed I can post it here
4. I checked the .xsession-errors file and it reports the following:

Quote:
xrdb: No such file or directory
xrdb: can't open file 'home/[username]/.Xresources'
property 'WS Pointer Wheel Emulatin Axes' doesn't exist, you need to specify its type and format
XIO: fatal IO error 4 (Interrupted system call) on X server ":0"
after 501 requests (501 known processed) with 0 events remaining.
Last question: if fixing the glitch is too complicated, as a Hail Mary situation, what if I simply uninstall X11 and reinstall it? would that work/bypass the glitch?

BR

Last edited by Nixota; 12th January 2024 at 08:19 AM.
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th January 2024
More noise than signal

Fatal error on a system call? /var/log/Xorg.0.log will likely have logged something helpful. Are you running -current? 7.4?
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th January 2024
Port Guard

Quote:
Fatal error on a system call? /var/log/Xorg.0.log will likely have logged something helpful. Are you running -current? 7.4?
1. well, the /var/log/Xorg.0.log reports a rather long list... unfortunately, I have no idea what is the meaningful part of it in the actual context
2. sure, I'm running vs. 7.4

PS. though I created a copy - with $ cp -p .Xdefaults .Xresources of the .Xdefaults file, tried to set the .Xresources file available to the xrdb with $ xrdb ~/.Xresources - which, b.t.w. outputs the error:

Quote:
xrdb: Can't open display ''
and verified that the /etc/hosts file reports the correct configuration for localhost, the situation hasn't changed a bit.

Still cannot log into the desktop environment.

BR
Old 10th January 2024
Bitchy Nerd Elitist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixota View Post
the /var/log/Xorg.0.log reports a rather long list... unfortunately, I have no idea what is the meaningful part of it in the actual context
Show us all of it then.

This will upload the file to a pastebin site and return a URL that can be shared here:
Code:
curl -F 'file=@-' 0x0.st < /var/log/Xorg.0.log
Old 12th January 2024
Port Guard

Thumbs up [SOLVED] reason for disabled login: swapping Caps Lock with ESC

dear All,

first: thank you for your precious support!

As I previously guessed, I found the reason I couldn't log in via the desktop environment prompt: that was due because I previously swapped the 'Caps Lock' with the 'ESC' keys, i.e., in the /etc/wsconsctl.conf file I made the following setting:

# swap Caps Lock with Esc key
keyboard.map+="keysym Caps_Lock = Escape"

That config messed up the login process. Just commented out that line and everything is back to normal.

BR
Old 12th January 2024
Administrator

Typical case of PEBKAC (Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair)
Fdisk Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixota View Post
As I previously guessed, I found the reason I couldn't log in via the desktop environment prompt: that was due because I previously swapped the 'Caps Lock' with the 'ESC' keys
Is this expected behaviour? I mean, it sounds like Nixota was entering the wrong password because of the swapped keys but since they said their password is all lowercase, I really don't understand what could have caused this.

Arranging keys is quite important to my use of any OS since I need to enter a lot of accents so if OpenBSD doesn't support changing keys in wscons it sounds really bad.