DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD Packages and Ports

OpenBSD Packages and Ports Installation and upgrading of packages and ports on OpenBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th February 2024
Port Guard

Default OpenBSD-SPARC64 7.4 MDA

OK, I have my Exim MTA up and running on my OpenBSD-SPARC64 7.4 box. Now I need a MDA. Leaning towards running my own webmail server to ease access from variety of clients like WinXP & Android. But might also try the IMAP route if I can find clients that will work on my platforms and have a good track record of backwards compatibility for old platforms.

I used to run my MTA, MDA, & webmail on linux, thus I'm not familiar with what's available and popular on the OpenBSD side. But I want to run it on OpenBSD going forward.

Dovecot seems like a good place to start, but it's not available in /pub/OpenBSD/7.4/packages/sparc64/ anywhere. It is for AMD64, i386, etc. Neither is Roundcube. In fact I haven't been able to identify any MDA available in the 7.4/packages/sparc64 list.

So, what is my path of least resistance? Is there a way to get Dovecot installed on my system without too much trouble? Is there an alternative that has a package in /pub/OpenBSD/7.4/packages/sparc64/ that I'm oblivious to? Is there a searchable lis of the packages in the archive? If anyone is running a MDA on OpenBSD-SPARC 7.4 I'd love to hear your advice.

Thanks,
DJ
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 5th February 2024
Arp Constable

In the IMAP arena , sparc64 has binary builds for alpine, mutt, neomutt and mutt-wizard.

Roundcube is in the 7.4 package repo for Sparc64
https://mirrors.sonic.net/pub/OpenBS...kages/sparc64/

Quote:
[ ] root-tail-1.2p2.tgz 2023-10-12 06:16 20K
[ ] roundcubemail-1.6.3.tgz 2023-10-12 06:16 5.9M
[ ] routersploit-3.4.0p5.tgz 2023-10-12 06:16 745K
[ ] routino-3.4.1.tgz 2023-10-12 06:16 755K
[ ] rox-filer-2.11p4.tgz 2023-10-12 06:16 1.5M
Of these, I would say that imap is the path of least resistance
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 5th February 2024
Port Guard

Thanks for the link to the roundcube package. If I understand correctly alpine, mutt, etc. are IMAP clients; but I need to install an IMAP server like Dovecot. So good to know about the possible clients when I get that far. But I don't see a Dovecot package for SPARC64 7.4. There is one in -current, but I can't install that on -release, correct? If I can't easily install Dovecot on my system, what would be the next best option? Cyrus???

Thanks,
DJ
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 6th February 2024
Arp Constable

It is hard to make recommendations without knowing if your server is just for the LAN or more robustly the WAN.

OpenBSD has developed a SMTP implementation that can duplicate many of the functions of exim4
https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/w...service.86861/

smtpd(8).

I don't run it but I believe the default setup will transfer emails to your LAN.

Dovecot apparently had some issue that prevented a Sparc64 package. You potentially can attempt to build it your self using the latest code . Sparc64 dovecot packages are in current:
http://mirrors.sonic.net/openbsd/sna...kages/sparc64/

Or you could run current and then switch the server over to 7.5 release at the appropriate time.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 7th February 2024
Port Guard

Just for myself, but facing the WAN. I think I'll look into the -current route for dovecot. I'm finding a lot more written about it than Cyrus, so hopefully an easier transition for me.

Thanks,
DJ
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 7th February 2024
Administrator

There is also https://openports.pl/path/mail/courier-imap
See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Courier_Mail_Server

Not sure whether that there packages for Sparc.
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 8th February 2024
Port Guard

Thanks! I'll check it out.

DJ