OpenBSD ACER aspire 9300 laptop install panic
Sorry for the lengthy post but I want to explain my problem as good as possible!
Since about a week I've been working on installing OpenBSD 4.9 (i386) from CD on this laptop and had some problems - very similar to the ones described in by user Sepuku in June. I've tried the steps outlined in the reply #9 by jggimi. Sometimes it works, usually it doesn't.
What I've noticed/tried:
- upon booting from CD and disabling ACPI, sometimes I can run the full install. After booting from the HD OpenBSD crashes again with a panic screen. I've successfully installed OpenBSD 2 times now but cannot get it to boot reliably
- if I don't disable ACPI I always get a panic screen during install
- if I boot from HD, I've been able to get OpenBSD running without disabling ACPI once.
- the liveCD of jggmi doesn't boot - I get a similar panic screen
- the panic screen is shortly after the boot starts - I don't see any boot messages on a blue background. It takes less then a second to crash.
I don't think it is due to a hardware problem:
- the laptop has been running Windows XP without problems for years
- I've tried booting and installing several distro's of linux (ubuntu, mint, clearos, ...) and it all works - no problem whatsoever.
- I've tried installing OpenBSD 4.0 from the official CD's and that failed in the same way.
- I've done an extensive memory test (11 hours) using memtest
- I've done a thorough disktest and that came out good (apart from 2 sector reallocations)
- looks like ACPI has no influence ...
So I'm beginning to suspect a bug in OpenBSD.
I've added 2 attachments:
- a zip file containing evidence of the panic screens
- dmesg file
Some help to nail this further down is greatly appreciated.
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|Obsd won't install to acer laptop||sepuku||OpenBSD Installation and Upgrading||16||7th July 2011 04:26 PM|
|OpenBSD's X11 on an Acer Aspire netbook||bruguiea||OpenBSD General||6||20th April 2010 07:10 AM|
|any possible way to make install46.iso boot from usb to install to a old laptop||vinnie_vinodh||OpenBSD Installation and Upgrading||10||21st February 2010 06:37 PM|
|audio and ethernet problem on on acer aspire 4740G||Stellar||FreeBSD Installation and Upgrading||3||21st February 2010 07:27 AM|
|Anyone tried FBSD on Acer Aspire One?||michaelrmgreen||FreeBSD General||1||5th September 2008 01:39 PM|