Back on FreeBSD Once More
These past few days I've been testing Debian GNU/Linux, which is the only Linux distribution that I can stomach. Either, I've been spoiled by BSD too much or there's something wrong with me, but I had a hard time being happy with Debian. Of course, I did encounter some trouble that gives me the notion that even Debian is losing quality.
1. XOrg configuration and device detection troubles
2. Random kernel panics --> something that I forgot about using FreeBSD
3. Weird font issues in KDE with fonts being ridiculously small
4. Lack of recent packages in Debian stable
5. Broken packages in Debian testing and unstable
6. No sound --> conflict between two sound cards apparently because of ATi HDMI, broken sound utilities that wouldn't properly configure the default, editing sound configuration files did nothing
7. Pulseaudio issues --> why does this abomination even exist???
I'm pretty sure there are more that I can't remember, but I'm thoroughly fed up with Linux. I will stick to my perfect combo: Mac OS X and FreeBSD. Hopefully, OpenSolaris will gain more commercial support so we can get commercial apps on that. Just thought I'd share, get my frustration out in a better way.
"UNIX is basically a simple operating system, but you have to be a genius to understand the simplicity."
MacBook Pro (Darwin 9), iMac (Darwin 9), iPod Touch (Darwin 9), Dell Optiplex GX620 (FreeBSD 7.1-STABLE)
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|back-sql - SQLConnect() failed||vol_o3||OpenBSD General||0||9th September 2009 09:36 AM|
|Going back to FBSD from Linux||Mantazz||FreeBSD Installation and Upgrading||5||24th April 2009 12:33 PM|
|back to BSD for a breath of fresh air need help with Nvidia please||whispersGhost||FreeBSD General||6||22nd January 2009 08:36 PM|
|Firefox PROTIP: getting back to a normal Save As Dialogue.||caesius||Guides||5||15th October 2008 06:24 AM|
|cannot make back up file||seadog109||Other BSD and UNIX/UNIX-like||5||4th June 2008 10:36 PM|