DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > NetBSD > NetBSD General

NetBSD General Other questions regarding NetBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 5th October 2015
Spam Deminer

Default where the program are stoked and fix on power display

Hi,
1/ i've installed a programs but i don't know how to link with menu of xfce4.
2/ how to fix the display always turn on, i don't want to use screen saver !
3/ how to start xfce4 automatically at eatch reboot ?

Regards
Philippe

Last edited by philo_neo71; 5th October 2015 at 05:20 PM.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 5th October 2015
Port Guard

These are not NetBSD related questions, so maybe there are any other forum where you can get more and better answers, but otherwise:
1) I am not using Xfce, but as far as I recall, the programs once installed they MUST appear in the menu, unless (for example I remember it happens with seamonkey and gmplayer), the package doesn't include a application.desktop file. In that case you will have to create it manually. Go to /usr/pkg/share/applications and pick one of the .desktop files copy it to another place, modify to your need and copy it again where it was originally after rename it with your application name and the suffix .desktop .
2) Without xscreensaver I don't know the answer, sorry.
3) Install a session-manager gdm or lxsession for example, but, at least in the case of gdm, if you want to Xfce4 appear as an option, you will have to go to /usr/pkg/share/xsessions and copy gnome.desktop file, edit it replace at the in the line beginning with exec the word gnome-session with startxfce4, save it as Xfce4.desktop in the directory above mention, and it will appear as an option. I don't use lxsession.

I hope I could help you a little bit.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 5th October 2015
Port Guard

Sorry, for your 3rd question there is a simpler answer:
Add startx to your .profile:
echo startx >> .profile
Of course, you need to have a .xinitrc file:
echo "exec dbus-launch startxfce4 > .xinitrc"
When you reboot, after logging, X will be automatically initiated
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 5th October 2015
Spam Deminer

Thanks for your help,
1/ I want to install "epiphany" web browser, so i do the command "pkgin in epiphany" but the system install a lot of programs, what happening, i have changed the repository of pkgin.

2/ how to browse my local network under hard firewall, my others machine are in this range > 192.168.0.x with x variant between 1<x<254, for example my nas are 192.168.0.8 and i want to go here !

Regards
Philippe
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 5th October 2015
Port Guard

You are welcome .

1) Epiphany is heavily integrated with gnome so in order to run it needs several gnome-related packages (like Orbit2 or gconf). See http://pkgsrc.se/www/epiphany You will see all the packages needed to be installed along epiphany.
2) Sorry again, But I only have one computer (donations accepted ). But maybe in http://www.netbsd.org/docs/guide/en/...tice-small-net you can get answer to your question.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 5th October 2015
Spam Deminer

thanks pygope !
It 's difficult to creat a network computer !
> I've installed NetBSD on 3 computers, Laptop intel atom dual cores with NetBSD 6.0.6's version, is a 32 bits operating system because easy to carry, also on bi quad cores opteron (8 cores), here is Full 64 bits operating system, and at the last on Raspberry PI2 ARMv7 quad cores turbo, full 64 bits.
I think that NetBSD is the best operation system on the world, NASA use it lol, i've a lots of question about the NetBSD !

Questions :
1/ witch browser to use on my laptop (32 bits) because i can't to surf on the Internet ?

2/ create a network with my bi quad cores ?

3/ use the pkgsrc for compilation programs, because there are few documentations on Internet ?

Regards
Philippe

Last edited by philo_neo71; 5th October 2015 at 10:45 PM.
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 5th October 2015
Port Guard

You are welcome again:
1) Can't you surf on the internet?
What does that mean? Do you have access to the net or not? If the answer is yes, then you can use any browser available in the repository. If not you have to see if your network card is recognized or if it is correctly configured.
2)Once again I don't know much about networks. And also you should have to explain for what do you want your network. (the uses you plan for it).
3) A detail explanation should be too long for a forum, I am afraid.
In a nutshell (a big one):
Get the pkgsrc tarball (I would recommend beginning with exact the SAME VERSION as your pkgin repository to avoid problems)
> ftp ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/pkgsrc/pkgsrc-2015Q2/
> get pkgsrc-2015Q2.tar.xz
Once downloaded
> tar xzvf pkgsrc-2015Q2.tar.xz -C /usr
First I always install pkgfind:
> cd /usr/pkgsrc/pkgtools/pkgfind && sudo make install
Then you can search any package by name or description (see man pkgfind)
For example:
pkgfind firefox >>>> one answer will be www/firefox
so you go to /usr/pkgsrc/www/firefox and sudo make install to install firefox (needs time)

Nevertheless http://netbsd.org/docs/pkgsrc/index.html It is a complete guide, maybe a bit confusing at the beginning.
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 5th October 2015
Spam Deminer

Yes of course i have access to internet but my laptop (intel atom) have issues because is use a 32 bits ! i have ping alive but firefox, safary, chromium and opera doesn't work !
the other computer AMD64 and ARMv7 run very well !

Thank you very mutch
Philippe
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 5th October 2015
Port Guard

De rien Philippe:

Frankly, I don't understand what 32 bits has to do to surf the internet or not. If you can ping it you should see it in a browser.

My computer is 64 bits, but at the beginning I only used 32 bits distros (linux and netbsd) and I hadn't any problems with internet.
Old 6th October 2015
Spam Deminer

I'm explain : i think that for intel distribution NetBSD are mixed 32 and 64 bits and is very dificult to install programs, i'm verify it on another computer with Intel quad and dual cores pocessors.
There one week ago that i check version of operating system for install on Intel Atom dual cores, i have try several version for found a good distribution and the 6.0.6 with many repository ! whoever i have 10 computers in my home, so i go to check if is only Intel Atom are bad, i had less to install on the ARMv7 !

thank you friend
Philippe

PS: I forgot : how to mount a usb key, and how to found the port ? (/dev/???)

Last edited by philo_neo71; 6th October 2015 at 12:26 AM.